Hi all,
I've been enjoying using an AL-811 to help bust the pile-ups with my long
wire antenna and Dentron Super Tuner Plus (manual tuner), but would really
like to add a QRO autotuner to the mix.

Currently, my K3 and AL-811 sit on my desk. The Dentron sits about 15' away
on top of a bookshelf next to the basement window where my antenna enters
the shack (one wire for the radiator and one wire to the radial field). The
Dentron has a "random wire" and "ground" post on the rear, which makes
tuning this antenna a breeze (but I have to get out of my chair and re-tune
whenever I switch bands).

I'm considering the KAT500, but wonder how it would work for this
situation. Here are my two (please suggest more) solutions:

1. Put the KAT500 right next to the K3 and AL-811 on my desk, run a 15'
long 50 ohm line to a balun which would attach to the antenna outside my
basement window. Computer control is easy because the KAT500 and K3 are
right next to each other.
2. Put the KAT500 right next to the antenna and run a short (2-3') 50 ohm
line to a balun which would attach to the antenna outside my basement
window. A 15' line from the amp to the tuner would be required and no
computer control would be possible.

If I go with Option 1, then I am trying to match the 50 ohm line for 15'
before I get to the balun/antenna outside the window.
If I do with Option 2, then I won't be able to use the K3/KAT500 AUXBUS
features (I had emailed Elecraft support about this in the past and they
suggested not using a 15' long AUXBUS connector).

Anyone else tuning random wires with the KAT500? How do you do it?

Should I be considering another tuner altogether? I don't want to break the
bank, but I do want a workable solution.

73
-john W4PAH
Madison, WI