On Tue,11/11/2014 7:17 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
Your measurements are not of the conditions I describe.  You are using
*filtered and band limited pink noise* (slide #3 - EQ settings) not the
specific digital signals I mention *and* your measurements are at PEP
not average power (slide #2 - LP-100A set to peak).

Right -- my test conditions for SSB are MORE demanding than either PSK31 or JT65A, and were intended to approximate the response of the K3 (and amp) to a speech signal. I also made one measurement of the K3 at high power without compression. Occupied bandwidth was nearly identical to the 10dB compression, so I did the rest with compression.

Did you miss the CW measurements, where the modulation was a shaped square wave?

When I have time (I'm currently hot and heavy with antenna work), I will, however, repeat these measurements with a PSK31 test signal, and with JT65A. I don't expect the results to be a lot different.

73, Jim K9YC