There is also a situation with using DTR or RTS to key the rig.
When the computer boots, those port signals will be 'wiggled' active as the OS tests the ports. It does not matter if the signals appear in a real serial port or a USB to serial adapter - it will still happen.

If you are using DTR or RTS for either PTT or keying, you should be aware.
The 'cure' is to put the K3 in TX TEST if you have to boot the computer with the K3 powered on, or boot the computer before powering the K3. There is no other way to prevent this behavior that I know about.

So take your pick of the method to put the transceiver into transmit when using digital modes, but be aware of what happens on the computer end and take steps so it does not create a problem or a surprise (or cause calls to Elecraft support unnecessarily).

73,
Don W3FPR