Jim,

The KX3's mic jack has some special wiring to work with the MH3. As
alternative, you can use the ACC2 jack (2.5 mm) to wire in a PTT switch. This
is discussed in the KX3 owner's manual -- see the ACC2 IO menu entry. This
would allow you to use the mic jack with your headset/mic.

Also note that the "XMIT" switch functions exactly like PTT, and is
conveniently located close to the mic jack.

73,
Wayne
N6KR