I use the KXPA100+KXAT100 built in tuner with my K2, and it works great. Of
course, the integration isn't quite as tight as it is with the KPA100+KAT100.
For example, when I change bands, I need to hit the "dit" paddle to give the
amp/tuner a squirt of RF and let it know my new QRG. But the tuner immediately
selects the right antenna and recalls the last tuning solution for that band
segment. I also set the power knob to 3W when doing a tuning cycle, and then
maybe crank it up to 5W if I want a full 100W out of the amp.

In order to make the amp work the the K2, you need a key out line. The basic K2
doesn't have this, but it is easy to add one. Here is what I did, based on an
article from the Elecraft website:
http://www.mwrs.org.au/2014/04/20/elecraft-k2-amplifier-keying-circuit/

The benefit of using KXPA100 solution is that I can leave it at home if I want
to take my K2+built in QRP ATU out into the field, or I can bring it along. I
can also use the KXPA100 with my KX3, in which case it is a fully integrated
solution. The KXPA100 is completely silent, with no fans, and relays only used
for antenna selection/tuning/protection, whereas I understand the KPA100 has
some noisy fans when it warms up.

Whichever way you go, the K2 is a lot of fun :-)

73,
Matt VK2RQ