Hi Jim,
We had a very similar situation a couple of years ago at our local club
station which was using Yaesu kit and a MFJ ATU. We had relocated the
station and used different (shorter) coax to wire it all up. We encountered
various problems the main one being a high SWR. The cables were checked but
nothing untoward was found. Then one member said that we shouldn't use short
cables and so we found some longer cables, about 2m long, (not the
originals) and everything worked fine.
We never did find out the reasoning behind not using the short cable
lengths.
Andrew
G8BYB