David and all,

I would beg to differ, AFSK starts as external audio tones into an SSB transmitter. How those tones are modulated into an RF signal is not dependent on whether the transceiver is DSP or analog, the output should be the same. It may be digitized in the middle of the transceiver, but the input and the RF output should be the same. The input is pure analog and not digital sine waves.

FSK is a slightly different 'animal' and in its simplistic form is the shift of a VFO frequency to create the mark and space tones. That too can be handled internally by various DSP algorithms, but the end result should be the same - an RF output that shifts in frequency between the mark and space frequencies.

Both are demodulated by the receiving station as tones to be decoded. Theoretically, there is no difference on the receiving end by an RTTY signal generated by AFSK or FSK means.

73,
Don W3FPR