Just for clarity, the original post asked only about the KX3 - which is $899.95 kit price. That is only 20% to 45% of your stated $2K to $4K. While the pros and cons of a new general class licensee using a transceiver that produces 15 watts can be debated, my take is that -- 1) Many new hams *do* budget enough for the KX3/KXPA100/KXAT100 combo, or even a full blown K3. 2) A good receiver is more important than the amount of power, especially with compromise antennas. If the antenna must be a compromise, why create double jeopardy by using an inferior receiver. If conditions are right, even a 1 watt signal can be quite effective. 3) The KX3 (and the K3) do not have to be purchased with all the options at once - the receiver capabilities are there in the basic models, but the "bells and whistles" can be added as the operator gains experience and begins to understand what additional options would be of value.

If you can't hear them, you can't work them, no matter what the power might be, so a good receiver is a real asset to a ham just starting out on the HF bands - to my mind more of an asset than higher power. Certainly the new op running lower power will want to stay away from contests and DX pileups to avoid frustration, but after gaining some operating experience, he can even join in those activities even with QRP levels.

To respond to another earlier post in this thread, yes a used K2 would be a good choice if it has been upgraded and properly aligned and calibrated. The K2 has a fine receiver too.

73,
Don W3FPR