Steve, I did not buy the internal tuner either.  Instead I use an SGC-237 remote autocoupler with my KXPA100 and there are no problems at all.  The only thing I have to remember is to initially turn the power knob on the KX3 down to under 20 watts when I go to a new band until the initial match is resolved.  Then I can jack it up.  I believe the internal tuner would be smart enough to reduce tune power automatically but with an outboard setup you have to do it yourself.
73, Stan WB2LQF