Hi all,

Our latest K3 firmware field test went very well, with great reports from CW
operators regarding the new QSK sound. Many have been waiting patiently (or not
:) for a few years for this improvement.

This firmware is now a beta release (rev. 5.01), available at:

   http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_software.htm

See release notes below.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

* * *

MCU 5.01 / DSP 2.83, 12/09/2014

* NO CW QSK AUDIO ARTIFACTS IN PRESENCE OF QRM: In previous releases, CW QSK
break-in speed was maximized by saving receive audio in the DSP "pipeline" on
key-down, then inserting it back into audio stream on key-up. This resulted in
audible artifacts when operating in the presence of heavy noise or QRN. The
operator now has the option to clear the DSP pipeline on key-down, eliminating
the artifacts. This provides much cleaner CW operation, at the expense of a
slightly longer delay before receive audio recovers (we'll improve this in a
future firmware release). To select the old or new QSK algorithm, tap '3' in
the CW WGHT menu entry (CONFIG menu). "New QSK" clears the DSP pipeline; "Old
QSK" saves it and inserts it back in on key-up. Historical note: The original
"Old QSK," which used even shorter mute times, is no longer available. Some
operators felt it provided somewhat better QSK (reduced artifacts). But the new
algorithm (now "New QSK") is far superior in this regard.