Bruce,

Unless Heil has changed the Kenwood adapter, it should work fine.
Test your adapter - put a bare stereo plug into the adapter and use your DMM. Pin 1 should connect to the tip of the stereo plug. The shell of the stereo plug should connect to either pin 7 or pin 8 (or both) and the ring of the stereo plug should connect to either nothing or to pin 1 (but *not* connect to either pin 7 or pin 8).

If those tests are OK, it should work - set the Mic Sel menu to FPL.bias and adjust the mic gain to indicate 5 to 7 bars on the ALC meter.

73,
Don W3FPR