Steve:

I too am a new owner of a k3 kit and just got it going couple of weeks ago. You will enjoy this radio. I too will be looking at N1MM, etc
so can operate via keyboard part of the time during contests.

In the meantime, regarding RTTY, why don't you try using your CW paddle to send and the readout on your K3 panel (VFO B area) to receive the RTTY first. You will not need any added equipment. Here's how to do it roughly:

1. Read pages 31 and 32 on your owner's manual. Here's a bit of the text:
"You don't need a computer to get started with data modes on the K3: it can receive and display RTTY and PSK31 on its LCD screen. You can transmit in data modes using your keyer paddle (see page 34).

2. I made my first contact with a W1AW/x station last weekend - and it was a split connection at that - way cool, that is, I transmitted UP 1 kHz per his CQ call.

3. Doing this experiment will really enhance/check your code sending too. Use the TEST mode and practice sending code in the above mode and check in the LCD (vfo b area) that your ending is accurate enough for the K3 to decode what you send in RTTY. The K3 converts that CW internally and transmits the RTTY for you. You'll improve your code and make your first RTTY contact in the same experiment!

Happy New Year,

Uncle Phil, W0XI, DCARC, 4SQRP, Lawrence, KS

Steve Lett <mailto:st...@kb3taw.com>
Friday, December 26, 2014 12:17 PM
I have a new K3. I very much like the quality of this radio but it is over
my non-technical head. Are there step-by-step instructions that would tell
me how to configure the radio for RTTY using MMTTY software? I am also
looking for easy to follow instructions to configure CW using CWDecoder
software? Thank you.

Steve, KB3TAW

Message delivered to aldenmcduf...@sunflower.com

---