Thanks Wes and thanks for the other comments I received - especially an
offline exchange with WB6RSE.  Looks like my stack has developed a problem
that has increased the SWR and that is the entire problem.  It has always
been marginal on the SSB side of things and the additional degradation has
just pushed things over the edge...

Tom N5TW

>Since your amplifier is rated only to SWR <= 1.5 maybe that is the issue.
What's
>the fault indicator telling you?
>
> Wes  N7WS

>  On 1/2/2015 9:10 AM, Tom Whiteside wrote:
>> I've had my K3 for 8 years now and just love it...  My only complaint is
>> that in SSB I have trouble throttling the power back enough to not
>> occasionally trip an Alpha 87A.  The K3 just ignores the reins and
charges
>> ahead...   I notice this on a 40M sked where my antenna is close to 2:1
SWR