I have been to St. Croix years ago on business at the petroleum terminal on the South side of the island. Had some time to kill and enjoyed it immensely. Scuba/snorkeling tours were fun and beautiful. Prices reasonable. Good place for a "expedition" setup with a QRP rig and a Buddipole for some radio fun. (I didn't have a Buddipole or a small compact QRP rig at the time. That was about 25 years ago.) Also was in Jamaica, Antigua, the Bahamas, and Cayman islands, and Bonaire on ship radio repair jobs. I'm recently informed that one should stick to Western end of Jamaica, and avoid the eastern end of the island. Never had any problem on any of these places or been threatened when I followed recommendations of previous visitors.

IF I EVER go to these places again, I'll be sure to get permits to setup with something like an FT-897, FT-817, or IC-703 using the Buddipole antenna system!

Good luck and have fun!

73,

Sandy W5TVW
Now 78 and somewhat disabled like a creaky car!
The urge is still there though to return!