Rather than sacrifice the AGC control, I handled the on/off of the K1 backlight by adding an internal on/off switch. I used a very small Elecraft DPDT switch left over from the K1 Upgrade Kit I installed awhile back (I didn't need the ability to turn the tx mixer on during receive, so the switch was unused).

Looking at the the front panel's rear (where the MCU is located) I installed it on the upper right corner of the PC board. The switch is so small it is held in place with a tiny drop of medium thick CA glue. See picture at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~windependent/images/switch.jpg

I drilled two very small holes through the PC board with a pin vise and wired the switch in series with the anode of the backlight diode using kynar coated wire.

I leave the light on all the time when at home in the shack (95% of my operating). When portable or if current drain is an issue, all i need to do is back out the 4 screws holding the front panel in place and flip the switch.

Mike, AK3F
K1 #522