The FTDI driver that could brick the counterfeit FTDI chips has been pulled.
Whether that is good or bad remains to be seen. Matthew PittsN8OHU

      From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av....@gmail.com>
 To: Kevin Schache <hillsla...@internode.on.net>
Cc: Elecraft Reflector <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
 Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 11:35 AM
 Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Elecraft K2 RS232 serial port on pc

On the Sony laptop, you will need to get a USB to serial cord. Be sure to
get an adapter with an FTDI chipset. There always seem to be issues with
drivers, including one that would brick the adapter. I don't know where
that issue got to. The CURRENT model being sold by Elecraft seems to be
working ok. Use their supplied driver.

If your HP desktop has a spare slot, install a serial card with two or four
REAL RS232 serial ports. RS232 is a totally stable interface that hasn't
been changed even a little in many years. Nobody is trying to adapt RS232
to some new hardware, like what goes on in the world of USB all the time.
In my own case, RS232-land became refreshingly boring and non-problematic
when I installed a 2 port serial card. They are assigned COM1 and COM2 in
the bios boot-up, which go to my K3 and K2 respectively, and there are none
of the where-did-my-com-port-go issues. My Microham u2R has a USB interface
which has been tamed nicely and handles the rest of the signal lines. It
has been rock solid with zero issues.

*** Very Important ***  You will NOT be able to plug any standard DB9 RS232
into the K2's DB9 socket on the back. Do that and you burn stuff. You MUST
use the special Y cord to split up the RS232 signals and the proprietary
signals. See the KIO2 manual...

  http://www.elecraft.com/manual/KIO2%20man%20rev%20C%20.pdf

...beginning on page 12, for a description of the cord specifics.

73, Guy

Message delivered to daywalker_blade_2...@yahoo.com