I wanted a desk mic to go along with my KX3 station. Wanted something more portable than the Heil boom and mic I use on my other radio. I have experimented with dynamic mics on the KX3 and didn't get the results I liked but did get very nice results with using 4 CUI electret condenser mic elements in parallel. I used the CUI CMA-4544PF-W from Digikey and used a small project circuit board to physically arrange them in a 2 x 2 config. Then I trimmed up the board.

For the mic body I found a unused Shure 522 on ebay (some company had them for a conference table system and had a great price). The 522 has an adjustable neck height and a PTT (with lock). I gutted the body and fitted the new electret element assembly as well as used a 3' TRRS patch cable that I cut 1 end off for the mic cable, it also had 90 deg ends.

I am pleased with the physical results as well as very good audio reports I am receiving from the regulars that know my signal, still not to the level of my FTDX5000MP but getting better with each tweak and DSP update (using 1.32 which has made a noticeable improvement). I am using a healthy level of compression and mic gain that shows a solid 5 bars.

--

Gary Mitchelson
NC3Z Davidsonville, MD FM18