Hi Ty,

I had some minor damage to my K2 from ESD in 2004. I
didn't have any form of lightning protection at the
time.

I did purchase this device and haven't had any
problems since. Of course, maybe I haven't had a
nearby discharge, but didn't want to risk it again.

My new shack has this installed as well. Mine are both
installed closer to the rig (on the output side of my
inside antenna switch).

I've opened one of these up, and suspect you could
easily build one for a fraction of a commercial unit.

For my new installation, I've buried all of my
feedlines (longest run is about 80'). This has a
twofold effect, lightning protection and common mode
attenuation. OK, four benefits, all the lines are out
of sight and harm's way.

The work is not as hard as it sounds. I used a little
Honda rototiller to dig the trench. Then got PVC
sprinkler line (I've used both the black coiled stuff
and 20' lengths, size depends on what you're trying to
run thru it.) and buried it. You can bury some lines
directly, but it makes repair/replacement a real
headache.

I run heliax/coax, rotor control and switching cables
thru them. Also, I lay a ground wire in the trench on
the bottom and tie all my ground rods together.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Julius
n2wn