Just a follow-up,

I found the problem and it is in the DC terminal strip that must have
a faulty component inside. It shows  13.8 V at the end of the wiring
harness but when I connected it to the K-3 it dropped down to .5 V. I
bypassed the terminal strip and connected to the power supply
directly and the radio turns on with no issues. The connections to
the terminal are tight so it has to be something internal.

No chance to really compete in the contest but at least I can get
back in the game and don't have to send the K-3 back home for
surgery.

Thanks again for the suggestion, I appreciate it.

73,

Gary, KA1J

> Hi Hank,
>
> Just removed the K3 from its harness and tested the RCA jack to see
> if it's shorted; Using the fluke it shows 500 ohms & when the probes
> are reversed, there's an infinite reading so I'm assuming the diode
> is intact.
>
> Guess that's not this issue. Thanks for the idea though.
>
> 73,
>
> Gary
> KA1J
>

> > Gary I had my K3 die in middle of  qso - its turned out to be the reverse
> > polarity diode that hangs from the 12v RCA jack to ground - it shorted dead
> > (not a damn thing hanging on that RCA nor had there EVER been anything on
> > it ) so that keeps  the FET from letting the radio turn on --  check DCR
> > from RCA jack to ground - just a chance --Its D35  a SMD 1N4007 or
> > something
> > like that if I remember  -
> >
> > GL what a   BUMMER -- 73 Hank

---