Mark,

  I use a Sherpa100. Good pack, but the output voltage goes under 12V way
before the pack is empty, so the KX3 will not let you use full power after
a while. The KXPA100 is not as picky, so you can easily run a KXPA100 at
50W on the Sherpa100 until the end of the pack's power. It's a pretty good
solution imho!

   I have not tried to use the Laptop 19V output with a regulator, that
would be another approach. But on a portable power pack, you probably don't
want a linear convertor, and a switched buck convertor will introduce noise
unless you're not very careful when you design it...

   In my experience, the Sherpa100 is a fine solution. If you already have
one, just get a cigarette lighter to anderson adapter and try it out!

Ed W6ELA