I bought both, and it turns out that the covers are more useful than the
side panels alone are.  Previously when packing the KX3 and PX3 I had to
give them extra space because I didnĀ¹t want anything touching the panel or
knobs.  With the covers in place I can get more in the back pack rather
than less, as they protect the face of the instruments allowing for more
stuff to be packed against them.

Ted, KN1CBR