The weekly SSB net meets on Sunday at 1800Z at 14.3035 MHz. I will be the NCS
from western OR.

There has been some traffic lately about difficulty hearing my signal and
getting into the net.  Here are the particulars.  The majority of the calls for
check-ins is by me.  I am in the NW corner of the continental US and point my
antenna generally east.  My QTH isn’t ideal, but it isn’t terrible either.  I
sit in a valley covered with 125 to 150’ Douglas-fir trees, and my take off to
the east is into a forested upslope.  On the other hand, I don’t have nearby
neighbors and therefore have a reasonably low noise level.  That, coupled with
the excellent K3 means I can hear most anyone who can put out a modest signal.
This includes many QRP stations from the eastern time zone. My antenna is a two
element cubical quad at 75’.  The K3 drives a KPA500 at 500 plus watts.

We use a number of relay stations.  These are typically in southern CA, CO, TX,
GA and the northeast US. Others help out when they hear stations that nobody
else hears.  We also call for QRP only stations. The bottom line is that we
pick up most everyone.  This often includes ZL1PWD off the back of our antennas!

So, if you can’t hear me, listen for the other relays.  If you can’t hear any
of the relay stations or me, use that as motivation for some antenna work this
spring.

73,
Phil, NS7P