Hello Joshua & Elecrafters,

My throwing arm also is no good after a shoulder separation and torn rotator
cuff some years ago, so I sometimes use a pneumatic launcher, which I purchased
as a kit from the Joplin Amateur Radio Club ( see video clip here :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2MO0N4cewo&feature=channel&list=UL ).

However, using it in public places such as a park, etc. can sometimes bring
unwanted scrutiny from wary public officials and may even be considered illegal
(being considered a "firearm") in some places. And, a pneumatic launcher and
tire pump is a bit much to bring along if you are hiking/backpacking.

So, if I don't need to get my support line up more than approx 25-30', I use a
simpler (and cheaper) method. I tie a light support line ( paracord or mason's
twine) to the neck of a 1/2 liter plastic water bottle and swing it in a
vertical plane circle and let fly. You can empty (or drink) some of the water
to get the best result. I find that approx 1/2 full (8 oz.) is a good
compromise between light enough to get it up a reasonable height and enough
weight to pull the bottle/line down to where you can reach it to tie on and
pull up your wire and tie off the line. You will need to practice a bit to get
a feel for aim and when to let go. You can swing it either overhand or
underhand, whichever works best for you. May take a bit of practice and a few
tries, but it works for me and can't get any less expensive. And the plastic
bottle is soft enough not to cause damage or injury to anyone (or yourself) in
case you miss. Less dangerous than using a rock and qrp hikers will likely
 be carrying a water bottle so you can "kill two birds with one water bottle"
as the saying goes. When the weather moderates I'll get a friend to do a video
clip of me demonstrating this method and put it on youtube. Hope this helps.

72 & regards,

Rich K2CPE
K2 # 1102