Brian,

I think Don, W3FPR, answered your question. FYI, My K2 and SSB is a fairly
early model from 2001. I did not like the bandwidth and changed it to 2.5khz
early on. I believe this was a mod from KI6XX. Don't have those notes handy.
Always got many unsolicited good audio reports for many years. Recently,
though, I started getting reports that there were some unwanted artifacts in
my signal and that the audio had too much bass. This was with the MH2 or the
Yamaha CM 500. I also noticed that when I was using the amp(KPA 500) that it
only took about 20 to 22 watts to drive the amp to full power in SSB. I
guess that it is possible that one or more of the capacitors that I replaced
had changed value.

The changes that I just made has made big improvements in the audio
according to several people that I talk to on a regular basis.  It also
takes 30 to33 watts to drive the amp to full power now, which I believe is
more normal.

As always, YMMV.

73,
George NC5G