It depends on how the ATU learns about the frequency.

If you have your K3 connected to your KAT500 and the K3 provides frequency
information without transmitting, then the KAT500 can change ATU settings in
mode MAN on K3 QSY, without transmitting.   (This uses a 15-pin ACC cable
between the K3 and KAT500 and the K3 configuration menu for KAT3 is set for
"KAT500y" by pressing the 1 button the right number of times).

Otherwise the KAT500 senses Tx frequency, and presumably you won't want to
transmit outside the ham band for the KAT500 to learn the frequency  by
counting the Tx frequency.

The KAT500 Utility Operate page has the ability to store an arbitrary tuner
setting (including "bypassed") at the then-current frequency.

I just tuned my K3 to 14500 and on the KAT500 operate page I checked
"bypass" in the "others" group , just to the left of the "tune" button. Then
I clicked "memorize", and the utility stored a "bypassed" tuning solution in
the memory for 14496 kHz.  When you tune around, the ATU loads settings from
the nearest non-empty memory. When I qsy to 14350, the ATU loads my
not-bypassed settings for the high end of 20.  When I qsy to 14425, the ATU
changes to "bypassed" because the nearest memory (14500) had a tuning
solution of "bypassed".  The operate page shows the frequency the KAT500 is
aware of. If it's moving around as you QSY with the K3, then you have the
needed information.

The ATU provides memories for all frequencies between 1.5 and 60 MHz.

73 de Dick, K6KR