Hi again Dale,

I'm not taking a position, just reporting how the K3 works now.  Maybe
that was obvious, maybe not.

With many Amateur transceivers that allow receive outside the ham
bands, the VFO always initializes to the last frequency dialed in. The
only non-Elecraft example I have here is an old 1996-era JRC-245, but
I've observed that same behavior with many others.  The K3 is
consistent in its behavior with most other transceivers.

>From what you've written, it looks like the BAND up/down control is
really the problem.  This is the reason I used (to myself) for the M>V
switch and using memories to control initial ham band entry after
tuning around outside.  I do a lot of this, being a Curious George
type, and also a MARS op and doing occasional SWLing.

Being objective, I've thought up a few corner cases.  For whatever
reason, I've become pretty good at this lately.  Try these on:

1. The op dials past the ham band edge into g/c territory.  In this
case, make the band edge persistent?  I'm not sure that would be
correct.  Most ops do not operate near the band edges.  Maybe I'm just
biased in this way.

2. The last direct frequency entry was 15.000 MHz.  Would you preserve
the previous direct frequency entry that was inside the Amateur 20m
band?  Or the last VFO A frequency?  Or something else (I'm trying to
use a little imagination, not something I'm great at).

3. This one would probably work for you.  The op dials into the ham
band from g/c territory.  I'm pretty sure that what most ops would
want to persist on VFO A is this last dwell frequency.  That would
also be consistent with most transceivers' behavior, and what many ops
would expect.

4. For MARS operators, SWLers, and other legitimate ops  that
habitually operate outside the ham bands, their K3s would constantly
revert to a previous dwell frequency, but only one from inside the
nearest ham band (hm, the one to which that dwell frequency range is
assigned).  I think this would tick off the ops wanting to preserve
the last frequency dialed or keyed in.

I guess it's a conundrum, or a bit of one at least.  From memory, I
think there was a Field Tester discussion on this topic long ago. This
and some hard decisions on the part of Elecraft gave the K3 its
present behavior.

Hey - at least the K3's behavior in this regard is 100% consistent!

 :)

73,
matt
W6NIA

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 23:08:29 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>Hi Matt,
>
>Thanks for your response. I see that using the memories will tune to the
>stored frequency -- but it still hijacks a ham band. I like using the
>'Band' button on the KPA500 to band-select the K3, but after selecting a
>non-ham band memory, that gets screwed up as well. I don't see a way to
>access a G/C frequency without this being the result.
>
>It seems to me that if the ham band slots disallowed frequency assignments
>outside of their respective bands, that would keep this from happening,
>and would be consistent with the K3 being first and foremost a ham-band
>receiver.
>
>73, Dale
>WA8SRA
>

>> Hi Dale,
>>
>> When you're tuning around outside the hand bands, your last "dwell"
>> frequency will be set in the appropriate ham band  For example,
>> listening to WWV on 15 MHz, 15.000 will become your VFO A's 20m
>> frequency.  That VFO A frequency will persist across a power off / on
>> cycle.  This behavior is consistent whether or not your K3 was last
>> left in the ham bands.
>>
>> I don't know all the frequency limits for which non-ham frequency
>> ranges are assigned to which ham bands, but in terms of being
>> reasonable they make sense (imho).
>>
>> If you combine SWL / general purpose and ham use, I'd suggest using
>> memories to keep your common-use frequencies in.  That way, when you
>> tap the M>V button and dial the memory in, you always get a known
>> frequency (either inside or out of the ham bands).  I use this method
>> for ham, SWL, and MARS operation and it does seem to work well.
>>
>> 73,
>> matt
>> W6NIA

Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
--
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will
spend the first four sharpening the axe." -A. Lincoln