Link uses both VFO's, with VFO A controlling main RX and VFO B
controlling sub RX. Diversity uses only VFO A on *both* main RX and
sub RX.

Link memorizes the difference between VFO A and VFO B and maintains
VFO B at that difference while VFO A is being tuned. If you do A>B
before link, it will still be two synthesizers that are not locked,
just have the same current input parameters. In my case when I do this
I rarely hear the band noise spreading out into the band noise "sound
stage" needed for digging out weak discreet CW signals.

Diversity is a phase lock between the two RX using the same set of
frequency generating sources for both RX. This always produces the
band noise sound stage.

Note that the sound stage is not something generated in the K3. That
is done in our minds by the same mechanism that allows us to pick out
a single voice in a crowded noisy cafeteria. The band noise is spread
out around the "audio horizon" or "sound stage" in my "mind's ear". A
discrete signal is in one place on the sound stage. My mind easily
picks the discrete sound out of the spread-around noise.

This is very much the same thing as listening to a stereo recording of
an orchestra that begins with audience buzz, which is all over the
audio horizon in my mind's ear.  When the music begins I hear the
violins to the left, though spread out a bit. I hear the tuba at a
specific spot on the right.

Once a K3 diversity RX operator has learned to use "sound stage"
diversity, it is easily an S unit advantage on RX for a station at or
in the noise that you can't see on the S meter.

For me diversity is always on 160 through 40. Anything that craps
diversity, for me throws away an S unit.

If you are not getting the sound stage trying to use diversity, you
really are not getting the benefit, and have some fun ahead of you
when you do.

73, Guy K2AV