From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Jim
Brown
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2015 7:35 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Bad Assumptions

On Mon,2/16/2015 5:10 PM, Al Lorona wrote:
> Plenty --perhaps most-- of hams operate their rigs in a standalone mode
without computer, even while at home.

Interesting observation.  Because contesters have been such a large part of
the K3 customer base, our needs and habits tend to be considered "the norm."
While it's certainly true that many (most?) casual operators don't use
computer control, I'd also bet that those casual ops are not a majority of
the K3 user base.

After a long period (15+ years) of inactivity, I got back on the air in
2003. That happened on Field Day at a club I visited, and they used Writelog
with a serial port to their radios.  The last time I'd contested was 20
years before, with paper logs and dupe sheets. :)

A few weeks later, I was back on the air at home.  I logged on paper for a
week or two, but I soon learned about DXKeeper, and an older Thinkpad that
I'd replaced in my small business found a permanent home in the shack. I
also bought WriteLog, and needed the computer connection.

At least one computer has been in my shack ever since.  Eventually I started
using Commander, the control software that goes with DXKeeper to read the
rig frequency and mode and put it in the log. Then, when LOTW and eQSL came
along, it became very easy to upload my entire post-2003 logs.

Most hams who are not contesters have computers hooked up to their rigs when
they want to operate digital modes, but they may or may not use a serial
port for rig control. DXers often use CW Skimmer, which needs rig control.

73, Jim K9YC

delivered to m...@totalhighspeed.com