Richard

This is only of interest to CW operators.

The latency (the time from when you send a character from Your paddle to the
local PC until the remote rig starts to transmit this character) will be about
half a second (500 milliseconds!) plus the internet delay. My understanding is
that this delay at least partly is caused by the decoding of the paddle input.
I did not measure this but I have used two connected Winkeyers for some time
and that is my experience.

When you use the keyboard as an input to the local winkeyer it corresponds to
using a paddle input with very fast keying. In both cases (paddle or keyboard)
you can input so fast that you constantly are a little ahead of the transmitted
stream. That in fact is necessary for perfect CW. Therefore, break-in CW is a
little easier using the keyboard rather than the paddle. However this only
applies to a system based on local decoding (Winkeyer). The Remoterig system
may be better in this respect- I have no experience with Remoterig.

Of course if you have a poor internet quality (high latency or high jitter)
this might be the limiting factor. Remote operation is no fun with bad internet
quality! But you can definitely make fine CW QSOs even over a satellite link
(ping time 600 msec). High latency is not too much of a problem - you can get
used to it (in my view after using remote CW for ten years). But high jitter is
a PITA.

If you have a good internet quality (say latency around 30-50 msec)  you will
feel annoyed by the "buffer" latency,  especially if you try to operate
break-in using paddles. You will need to be prepared to stop transmission
(cursor placed over the stop button in the Winkeyer window ready for you to
left-click in order to stop immediately). This IS possible but NOT easy to do.

Sendt fra min iPad