Hi Mark,

I have been intending to respond to your posting below for ages but am afraid
it's only just got to the top of the stack - sorry!

Although
 I am not a particularly frequent telephony operator, I have used the
MFJ 434B with the K3 and it works just fine. Because I use my Heil
headset with several different (in Field Days etc) I have had to
confront the problem of different vendors using different microphone
connectors - and even worse, the same connector with different
pinouts....my solution was to wire the microphone plug to the Yaesu
standard - with apologies for using the Y word on the Elecraft list :-) -
 , set the headers in the MFJ to the Yaesu standard (and also the
appropriate header to apply the polarising voltage to the electret
microphone insert), and then build individual Yaesu - Elecraft, Yaesu - Icom
etc. adapters for rigs that
don't use the Yaesu pinouts. I'm afraid I don't know where you can buy
pre-made cables, but making up the adapters is straightforward if a bit
fiddly.

I don't know if that will help in your particular
situation (I suspect perhaps not), but on the principle that any info
might come in useful I thought I'd chip in.

73, Quin G3WRR