Kieth wrote:

>Hold on a second (AS) there Ron :-)  My understanding is that BK, CQ and
>SOS are not to be sent with no space but as individual letters complete
>with the proper space around them.

There's the **biggest** mistake in Morse telegraphy!

SOS is ALWAYS to be sent with NO space between the characters:  . . . - - - . .
.

I don't know how the "general knowledge" came to be that it is sent as separate
characters.  That completely destroys the distinctive sound of the signal and
is completely incorrect.

It's interesting that even US military emergency radio sets like the WWII
"Gibson Girl" hand-crank units (SCR-578, AN/CRT-3) and emergency keyers like
the AN/ARA-26 (designed to automatically key an HF unit with a Morse distress
signal and aircraft ID) perpetuate the S O S mistake by putting a space between
letters on the code keying wheel.

I blame it on the movies!

As for BK, that is two letters, but like many other ham Morse customs, it
really has *NO* place or value in Morse communication.  The prosign K is much
more to the point!

Mike / KK5F