be an indication that something is amiss in the receiver gain chain?

No, my K3 is farther than that from the default.  I've calibrated the
S meter using the XG-3 and done the RF gain procedure.  There is no
issue with levels from the IF output and showing normal (calibrated)
signal levels at -107dBm (S3), -73dBm (S9) and -33 (S9+40) dBm on
either the P3 or SDR-IQ.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

On 2015-03-10 9:35 AM, engineercm wrote:
Last night I was adjusting the sound levels into my sound card from a new
LP-Pan2 and could not get to S9 using my XG3 at -73 dbm unless the preamp is
ON.  I also noticed the S meter was reading S7.  I checked the S meter
calibration using the procedure in the manual and found I needed to adjust
SMTR OF to 20 instead of the default 24.  I checked two bands 20m and 40m
and got the same results.  The XG3 is connected to the RX Ant and the ATU is
BYPASS.

My K3 has all of the latest firmware updates. SMTR MD is ABS so the preamp
is OFF.   I've triple checked the settings on the rig to see if there is
something I missed (like RF gain) but all check out.  Should the SMTR OF
setting that is almost 20% off the factory default be an indication that
something is amiss in the receiver gain chain?  As far as I can tell, the K3
is working fine except I can't drive the sound card output to S9 without the
preamp?

73 de Clark/WU4B

Message delivered to li...@subich.com