Working portable from MT I worked a KL and a bunch of east coast stations one evening on 80m SSB with 5W into a horizontal end-fed half-wave at about 20'. I'm sure it wasn't armchair copy for any of them, but it's definitely doable. From my home QTH in VA, I've completed WAS on 80m SSB with 5W, but that was with a combination of a 160m horizontal loop at 35' and a full-sized 80m wire vertical over 56 75' radials. YMMV ;)

73, Ross N4RP