Joe,

Yes, a shorted Q10 will cause the audio to be muted all the time.
The K1 will operate without Q10 installed, so that is your first troubleshooting tactic. However, without Q10, the receive audio will not mute when in transmit - just something to be aware of when evaluating the effects.

If removing Q10 does not solve the RX problem, you will have to resort to Receive Signal Tracing in the back of the K1 manual. You will need a strong signal source and an RF probe to do that tracing. The Elecraft signal generators do not have sufficient output for that testing - I would recommend building the oscillator shown in the manual - the crystal should be within the tuning range of your K1.

73,
Don W3FPR