Hi All,

Band conditions of late have made things pretty difficult. Lots of QSB, and I'm hearing a lot more noise than usual. Of late, I've had problems getting 100% copy on some stations because the QSB, even when fast and not too deep, has clipped characters I try to copy (on CW) making it easy to miss something here and there. I've been checking my AGC to make sure it was fast rather than slow, but that didn't always solve the problem satisfactorily. Now, I do often just turn the AGC off, but that's usually to avoid the pumping that the AGC can cause. I've always been an advocate of turning the AGC off at times, but I noticed something else recently. Probably I've noticed it before and just didn't think about it.

The recent combination of QSB and higher noise were BOTH much improved by just turning the AGC off. The noise went down considerably!!! That improved everything, and copy became 100%, or close to it! I don't know why I didn't think to do this sooner! Anyway, I am guessing that the AGC is enhancing the noise, and it has nothing to do with the K3 itself as to any oddity. Somebody can probably explain this anomaly better to me. I always have to be very careful when turning the AGC off, especially if I am wearing "cans", but it sure does make a big difference on weaker signals.

Anyway, it was sort of a "slap your forehead" moment here! Hi. Time for me to read, or re-read, how to properly take advantage of AGC!

Dave W7AQK