My father was a metallurgist and a championship target shooter. He had four different ear muffs for work and for shooting. They varied in the frequencies they would cut out. One set was used for blocking high pitched sounds due to grinding or one of his high velocity furnaces. He built many types of furnaces during his metallurgical research.
    Kevin.  KD5ONS