Good suggestions, all.

Like Jim Brown, I come from the audio industry, and the best In Ear Monitors (IEMs) I have are the Etymotic ER4s. I have owned a pair for twenty years, and still love them. They come with the 3-flange ear tips, but are best used with deep canal ear molds. These are individually molded at an audiologists, and the resulting fit can offer up to 35dB or more broadband attenuation to ambient noise. This allows the use of moderate drive power and by suppressing ambient acoustic noise really opens up the noise floor for analysis.

For those who desire a more modest model, the next best alternative IEM I have found is the Audio Technica ATH-ANC23, which has Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) which works well. Although the amount of noise cancellation they offer is less than some Bose models, I find the audio quality to be superior to the Bose. I have used these in many multi-op contests where an SSB op was yelling "AGAIN, AGAIN???" for what seemed like hours next to me while I tried to copy weak CW, and the ANC really helped!

For the record, the very best audio quality I have heard from an IEM comes from the Sennheiser IE800s. They rival the best over-ear models and approach the quality of the Stax electrostatics at lower volumes. Not the most comfortable IEMs, and the sound is greatly affected by proper fitting to the ear canal, but once you get it right, man do they sound great!

Just my $0.015 worth

Howie - WA4PSC