From: Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com>
Date:03/24/2015  5:25 PM  (GMT-05:00)
To: Tony Estep <estept...@gmail.com>, Elecraft <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Don't have a 50W dummy load

Tony,

"Scolding time" :-)
One thing that I believe should be in every ham's shack is a dummy load
capable of handling the maximum power that your station can develop.
Ridge Equipment has a 50 ohm 75 watt dummy load good up to 1.5GHz for
$11.95, but you will need an adapter for UHF connectors so that is an
additional $5.  See https://www.ridgeequipment.com/store/dummyloads.html.

If ever you run into a problem, the first check is to see what happens
when you transmit into a dummy load.  That removes many variables - like
RFI problems and antenna problems.  It is the first check I recommend.
If the rig works into the dummy load, you need to look for the problem
somewhere other than the rig.

I have had rigs sent to me for "repair" only to find that there is
nothing wrong.  The resulting repair charge is greater than the cost of
a good dummy load.

If you look for one at a hamfest, take your ohmmeter along to check if
it is still a 50 ohm load - some are burned out from excessive power.

73,
Don W3FPR

Message delivered to mundschen...@msn.com