From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Fred
Jensen
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 10:49 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3 Roofing filter question

Joshua,  Probably not.  The ultimate BW of your receiver is set by the DSP
and noise power is "sort of" proportional to BW.  The purpose of the roofing
filters is to protect the ADC sampler at the head end of the DSP from very
strong signals that could drive it to saturation.

Noise, other than atmospheric and galactic, needs to be attacked at the
source.  Like getting rid of your switching wall warts and power supplies.
So long as the atmospheric noise is not saturating the ADC, reducing the DSP
BW is the only really effective way to reduce it's impact, and that's a lot
easier on CW than on SSB.  Different roofing filters are not likely to make
much difference at all unless they're more narrow than your DSP setting.

delivered to alderm...@windstream.net