Jay,

The K2 is ham bands only, but it will tune (and transmit) slightly outside the ham bands - how far depends on the particular K2. There is no way to "open it up" further.

The K3 blocks transmit (and receive) in the region of the 1st IF at 8.215 kHz - I forget how wide the guard band really is. The CB band at 25MHz is also blocked. If you must operate well outside the ham bands, you may want to install the KBPF3 option because the stock bandpass filters are peaked in the ham bands and receive will fall off as you move further away from the ham band edges.

The KX3 can be opened for transmit (except for the CB band) most anywhere in the RF spectrum.

If you have a valid need to transmit outside the ham bands (MARS licensee or other), contact K3support to obtain the instructions.

I do not know about the unlocked VHF spectrum.

73,
Don W3FPR