Sound like my cue, Fred. David, I think you will enjoy using the KPA500,
although I’m a bit biased.
The KPA will run just fine from 1.6 to 54 MHz, with the exception of the CB
Lockout area from 26 to 28 MHz, which is FCC-mandated for amplifiers in the US.
I can’t answer your question about going from 1500 to 500 watts (Like Fred, I
run mine at 600). I can tell you that with the amplifier I am definitely heard
in contests, which is where I do most of my operating. It makes a huge
difference. My station is on a city lot in San Jose, which means small
antennas. As I
said the difference between 100 and 600 watts is that at 600 I feel like I am
heard.

I am sure you will hear from others on the power comparison and the KPA500
operation as well.

- Jack Brindle, W6FB
Elecraft Engineering (like I said, I’m a bit biased…)