With the increase in atmospheric noise as the frequency goes lower even in
a quiet rural setting I suspect the new proposed mods will be sufficient.
Note that both bands are pretty narrow best served by narrow modes the
widest of which will likely be CW. PSK31, PSK64, JT65 or the newer JT9
would fit nicely. The increased processing gain of the JT modes would also
help with the really weak signals expected of transcontinental or
transoceanic sources.

I'm planning to get on with just the K3 and whatever mods are available and
hoping that along with some firmware upgrades someone (Elecraft?) comes up
with an amp which can come off the transverter TX out. If I have to build
one myself I'd probably skip the linear stuff (PSK) and just go with an
easier to build nonlinear one for CW and JT modes.

jim ab3cv