I just took a certification class at work for IPC-610(D) whihc is for solder inspection. So, I'm now authorized to answer your question! The method of bending the leads over is called "cinching" the leads and is acceptable as long as the component lead does not get close to other circuit components, traces, leads, etc. that would violate any designed minimum electrical spacing requirements. It doesn't take very much of a bend to allow the parts to be held into place. You might not want to bend them at 90 degree angles to make the leads flat with the board, though because it would likely be more difficult if you need to perform rework later. Are there other methods? Well, IPC-610(D) did specify other methods as well, actually. One was an example of a resistor that had a wire that went over the top of it and was soldered through holes alongside the resistor, but boards would have to be built specifically to do that and I'm sure yours isn't. That example really only applied to axial lead parts. The hold-down wire is really not used very often, although I did see it used on some larger axial lead parts in old aerospace qualified parts, and probably other applications where there may be a high vibration environment. The other method that was mentioned was use of some sort of adhesive or staking material. There were specifications on how much you would apply, and then it gets messy as well to have to deal with that stuff (what is the right stuff to use was not specified, the class didn't address process issues, just inspection criteria of solder joints). Although it wasn't addressed, I think that if you wanted you could probably also just hold the component until at least one lead is soldered (or for ICs and other long SIP or DIP packages leads on both ends of the part). Don't use too much solder, minimize the amount of time that you have the soldering iron on the circuit pad & component lead, and inspect your solder joints after soldering to make sure you don't have an accidental short circuit to adjacent pads or other problems. The training we got was pretty much common sense, but since common sense is lacking and industry needs standards which they can use to specify acceptability, IPC-610(D) seemed pretty good. I wish I had the course before assembling my K2, but I think that in general my common sense was okay anyway.

Have fun!

Mark, NK8Q

Clint Sprague wrote:

I'm attempting my 1st contruction project in many
years...
CMOS4 keyer, and I have what is probably a pretty
stupid question that maybe others can answer for me
here.  When you install a component on the printed
side of the circuit board, and then you tip the board
over to solder, what are accepted methods to keep the
compenent from falling off?  I've read
that you should bend the leads to hold the component
onto the board
but I was wondering if this is the only acceptable
way?

Thanks for you info,
73 - Clint - WS1V