Jim is right about this one. However, there was a huge gap between the RTTY world and the PSK world and it wasn't the technical differences in the modes.

On field day you expect to find all levels of experience, from the seasoned contest op to someone using a radio for the first time in a GOTA station.

The RTTY stations I saw were all acting like experienced contest ops, spread out with good space between the signals. To avoid QRMing each other, callers would take turns. A typical QSO would go:

  CQ FD N4XX N4XX
  N4XX DE K6EI K6EI KN
  K6EI 3A SFL 3A SFL K6EI
  N4XX 11A SCV 11A SCV DE K6EI
  K6EI TU QRZ N4XX

I was using K6EI and the N4XX call is made up. My transmissions above were the macros I was using. I had a bunch of unnecessary DEs and KNs, but the macros were set up for the PSK world.

The PSK world was quite different. Lots of people jumped in to call CQ on top of ongoing QSOs. There were pileups everywhere. The exchanges were also quite different. Some of the CQers expected to receive the exchange before sending theirs. The icing on the cake was one station which sent its exchange (not quoting exactly, but recreating from a vague memory):

  K6EI One Alpha South Florida One Alpha South Florida de N4XX

Needless to say, the rate with the RTTY stations was a lot higher. However, most of the activity was on PSK. We spent less that 2 hours on RTTY and 22 on PSK. (I had help from several other operators who wanted to learn digital operations.)

73 Bill AE6JV