I think that once your receiver's phase noise is about 1/10 (-10 dB) of the
incoming transmitted signal's phase noise, the incoming will dominate and
you'll no longer see an improvement no matter what you do to the receiver.
(This is a famous rule-of-thumb we use in any measurement.) From the anecdotal
reports we're reading here, the K3 has probably reached that point as compared
to many other rigs, especially if they're close by.
Al  W6LX

If so, then does that mean that as a station gets stronger, one picks up
more of the phase noise, (a function of how far from center one is), and
that is why a signal gets wider as it gets stronger?