Ed,

Several responses to your post have brought comments regarding the K3 TX audio, but I have not seen any specifically addressing the K2. The K3 TX audio can be tailored using the 8 band TX Equalizer which can be used to make most any microphone sound like the best studio microphone in the world if you are inclined to do a bit of tailoring - no need for an external equalizer, it is built in.

If you have a K2, you may be interested in the following - If not, you may want to hit the delete key now, the rest is K2 related.

I do not think Gary has aligned many K2s in the past few years. I have handled most of the more recent Elecraft K2 repairs, and do not see your call in my records, so I am wondering just how long ago that alignment was performed.

You may want to look at your K2 rather than the microphone. I would hate to see you spend $50 or so on a mod to your microphone and find no added benefit because of limitations in your K2 or your SSBA and SSBC menu settings. K2s that I have aligned often garner unsolicited TX audio reports, and I have received that report from many customers. The MH2 does have the peaking response in the 2800 to 3200 Hz region - the same as many other ham microphones.

How old is your K2, and what is the width of the KSB2 filter (2.1kHz or 2.4kHz)? The early KSB2 boards had the 2.1kHz filter while later ones have the 2.4kHz filter - that filter is used on transmit as well as receive. To determine which one you have, look at the capacitor row just to the left of the crystals on the KSB2 board - if all 6 capacitor locations are populated, you have the earlier 2.1 kHz filter, but if there are only 4 capacitors fitted, it is the 2.4 kHz filter. Should you want to change the filter width, Elecraft has the SSBCAPKT available to do that - but check the crystals first. If they are labeled anything other than 49136-S, you must replace the crystals when widening the KSB2 filter. If your KSB2 has the older crystals, your base K2 RF board likely has the older crystals as well and will result in better filters if replaced. Elecraft has a set of 7 matched crystals as well as a matched set of 14 available.

The other thing that will affect your SSB transmit (and receive) audio is the placement of the audio passband for LSB and USB. That may be corrected by proper filter alignment (CAL FIL).

There is another thing that can affect the K2 TX audio, and that is too much bass. The KSB2 does allow low bass frequencies to be transmitted. While some hams like that, it uses excessive power in the PEP envelope. You can reduce that response by changing 2 capacitors on the KSB2 board. Change C34 to a 0.47uF electrolytic and change C32 to a capacitor between 0.0033 and 0.005 uF. (4700pF is an easily available mid-range value).

73,
Don W3FPR