Tom,

Your limited BFO range will only be a problem when aligning the IF filters. If you find you cannot align the filters properly, then you will have to correct that problem, but it may be a case that you have a marginal solder connection somewhere in the BFO area and re-flowing the soldering will give you a wider range. Look at the RF Board schematic sheet 2 in the lower right corner to identify the components involved with the BFO.

Typically the K2 does not drift but a few Hz after being given a bit of a warmup period (10 or 15 minutes). Proper dial calibration and drift are 2 different things. Drift is the frequency change over a short period of time, such as a single operating session (usually do to temperature changes). Dial Calibration can change over time, but typically does not vary much because the calibration data is contained in EEPROM and does not depend on any realtime reference oscillator for accuracy and consistency.

If your situation is really drift (by my definition above), then I need to ask how old is your K2 (serial number please). If it is SN 3000 or below, does it have the A to B upgrades as well as the other Elecraft mods installed. There are 2 mod kits that are important for temperature stability - the BFOMDKT and E850138 (the PLL temperature compensation mod - so called "thermistor mod"). Look at the BFO inductor L33 on the bottom of the RF board - if it has many turns of fine wire and is held in place by a 1/8 watt resistor, then you have the BFOMDKT installed. Then look on the top of the RF board on the left side near the Control Board for RP3 (it may be under the KDSP2 or KAF2 if you have those options). If you see a small board with resistors on it in the RP3 location, you have the "thermistor mod" installed.

Especially since you have the K2/100, if either of those mods are missing, I suggest you install them. In addition, if your K2 is below SN 3000, you may want to consider doing the entire set of A to B upgrade mods (I recommend it).

Once you have checked those mods, go on with your calibration and alignment process. For the K2 Dial Calibration and filter alignment, I suggest you use Spectrogram or another audio spectrum analyzer for the best results. See my webpage www.w3fpr.com article on K2 Dial Calibration.

OK, I have given you more information at one time than you may have wanted. However, it is all related to dial calibration and drift (again, two different things). Work through it one step at a time, and if you have questions as you go along, please ask.

73,
Don W3FPR