Gary,

Since you get no ALC bars when the fault occurs, the problem is either in your Signalink or the audio input section of the KX3. It could be as simple as an intermittent audio cable connection or a fault in the audio wire. If you have an audio amplifier available (like one of those used with an iPOD or similar), plug the cable that you normally plug into the KX3 and see if you have the digital tones coming out of the Signalink and that audio cable - you will hear audio only in the left channel, the Signalink does not use the right channel.

Since you say FM appears to be working, that sounds like the KX3 mic audio is not at fault.

If everything works into a dummy load, check your antenna system to determine if the cause may be RF in the shack that is bothering your Signalink.

73,
Don W3FPR