Well, at least they have big antennas. ;) I read the other day on the NOVA
website that New Horizons will be downloading the data acquired in the
flyby at a data rate of only 1 kb/s - think "1200 baud modem" for those of
you old enough to remember them. And there was another fascinating article
there about how they use Reed-Solomon error correcting codes to compensate
for the inevitable bit errors and reduce the need for retransmission (and
now using the same RS code for DNA data storage, very cool stuff.)

Nothing about the path loss, but knowing the data rate is so low, and that
the RS code is probably good for a considerable error burst of several
bits, that should at least give you a sense of what the loss might be!

73 jeff wk6i

--
Jeff Stai ~ wk6i.j...@gmail.com