With considerable help from Don Wilhelm (greatly appreciated), and after several conversations with Elecraft I finally solved by JT65/JT9 transmission issues. The equipment was PC running WSJT-X/HRD and an unmodified Signalink. WSJT-X was in transmit mode, I could hear the tones using the Mon connector on the Signalink, the audio tones were making it to the tip of the KX3 Mic connector (used amplified audio amp connected to tip and Ring 2), and yet the ALC would not go above zero and nothing was being transmitted by the KX3 no matter how I set up the mic level and various Windows/Signalink level controls.

The identified problem - I was trying to transmit the test Tone and JT9 signal above the 2.8KHz upper bandwidth limit on the TX path of the KX3. No matter what you have the RX bandwidth set to, the maximum audio frequency that will go through the transmit chain is 2.8kHz.

Hope this information saves someone else a lot of trial and error trying to determine what's gone wrong in their digital setup.

73's Gary K6YOA